Wednesday, August 16, 2006

"Scholar" is a taboo....

just came back from Suntec for our OG outing...
it's like a wrap up of the o week...but this would not be the end....this is just the beginning...wakakak...so philosophical....
yup, we ate n talk kok at swensens...ask the guys to do arm wrestling....n wadever other silly games.
n we ended the nite wif a toast at the sky garden. I think everyone in the OG are glad that they join Zephyr...same here too...this is like the best OG that I ever have....hope we'll always stay in touch even though school stuff will start pilling up soon i'm sure...
yup...that was the happy2 part....
haha...
then abt the title of this blog which i am abt to address...(hmm sounds a bit like GP essay aledy)
why does the issue come about....
because it was brought up by someone...yeah...should keep the person anonymous...haha
yup...but I really feel that I have to comment on this one to set ppl's mind set correctly...at least for me n my friends.
I have been a scholar in S'pore for 4 years....and I feel that the word scholar is very very sensitive. It's better to hide your identity as a scholar than to boast abt it. Maybe in your home country, being a scholar is a pride. but if u reveal or introduce urself as a scholar here...u are doomed...
haha
i am saying this from personal experience.
during this engin o week, i always try to keep low profile, especially wif my surname being so unique. I just dun hope that a string of questions start coming to me....
typical kinda questions are something like this....
a: oh your surname is so unique.../ where do u stay?
b: I'm a foreigner from Indonesia....
a: oh really, i didnt know that...

if the conversation just ended there without further interogation...that will be fine n cool. which was wad happen to me during the camp...n I am well accepted although I am a bit different. coz of course I put in my effort to blend in oso...after all I am a chinese....we shld look abt the same...haha (wad crap is this)
but when ppl start finding out that u came here on scholarship...I can hear cynical tone setting in...haha

yup, ppl's perception of a scholar is something like this:
nerd, antisocial, only care abt books, lecture, tutorial, mugger.....yar, u noe all those characters....haha
but seriously, being a scholar is just like being a normal youth, teenage who has life not only inside their little academic world....
scholars are just like every other students....some maybe smarter some may not be that smart...but does it reallly matter...it's just one of the talents that u got. Different ppl excel in different things ....we are humans too... we have our fun time, we have our partying time, we got our hang out time, ...basically we are all the same..
but why ppl like to look at scholar differently, maybe treat scholar differently too?....haiz....this is a question hard to anwser....
but it's oso not rite for me to generalise that... coz obviously there are some scholars that care abt their academic performance more than others....I mean, mug more, more hardworking n so on....but is there anything wrong wif that? ppl just have different priorities in life...
but I'm happy n proud to be a scholar. just dun treat me differently. I'm normal human just like the rest of u....
I think I'm speaking for some ppl out there too...rite?haha

No comments: